Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Little Bit of Syria

It's a beautiful Saturday morning here in North Dakota. I woke up early and was able to witness the most beautiful rainfall come and go.

In the midst of it all, I can't help but thinking about Syria and how much they need Our Lord. Yesterday, Monsignor (our principal) gave a beautiful homily about the reason for fasting. "We fast because it is a symbol for our deep hunger for the Lord." He told us to fast and pray for Syria because they are in such need of Our Lord, the Lord of Peace. Of course, I can't duplicate the power of his words...but I absolutely love his contemplative preaching style: He told my peers and I that Jesus is so intimately a part of humanity. He quoted the beautiful poem, No Man is an Island and taught us that we are all "involved in mankind" and every death is the death of a part of me. 

I never was much interested in political involvement, so to make up for what I lack, I am begging the Lord to be present with the Syrian people. I asked myself (and the Lord, I suppose...sometimes, when we're talking to ourselves, we're really talking to Him) what my life would be like if I had been born in Syria...
I am praying and fasting for Syria today, as the Holy Father has asked. Praying and fasting for peace.






-Coming Soon: I made it through week two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment