Monday, August 12, 2013

Remembering Reality

I was just about to title this post as "Wish for a Family." But before I started typing thoughts into words, I heard Auntie Seraphic's words in my ear...I already have a family (Auntie S knows so well the typical desires of the [Catholic] Single heart). I have a wonderful mother, a great father, a big brother, and a little sister. I have an abundance of beautiful and influential people in my life. They aren't perfect, I'm not perfect, and whatever family God may bless me with down the road will not be perfect.

I had originally intended to say something holy&pious like: There certainly are days when I am leaning toward one vocation or another, but in all reality, I think I'm just longing for a family I can claim...as God-given? As my own??

But even as I type this, it is losing it's meaning and direction. 

Another favorite blog of mine recently posted about St. Thomas the Apostle and his unbelief. The author went on to describe some questions that arise when reflecting on Thomas and his doubts. What resonated with me was:
Do I really believe that He knows my future and that it's a good one? If I did, I wouldn't feel so much confusion about where I should be... I would live now.
 ...
 Do I really believe that His Will is perfect and mine is very, very imperfect? That He knows better? If I did, I would truly be not afraid.
My original zeal for this post was imperfect because I was going to pour out desires for the future.
I am constantly struggling to accept God's will for me at the present. I'm a college student and I have come to discern that He wills for me to finish my degree. I need to constantly remind myself that the exciting part of striving for holiness while in college is that there are SO many ways He will surprise me with abundant opportunities!
Lord, help me to be open to your will every day of the rest of my life.

1 comment: