Saturday, January 17, 2015

ROMA: Week 2, an Exploration of Art in Rome

It is impossible to exaggerate the brain food I've been fed this week. My head is legitimately exploding with facts about ancient Rome, the art of the early Christians, the method of examining a piece of art, and the different variations of the way a person is sculpted throughout the centuries...and more! This was our first week of class, and it has been the greatest hands-on lessons I have ever experienced. As an Education major, I'm always learning about the importance of hands-on, performance-based and project-based learning. Almost every day this week was spent in the city of Rome following our fast-paced French Art instructor  through the remains of public baths, temples, the COLOSSEUM,
the Roman Forums, the Pantheon and the like.The latter part of the week was spent intensely looking at the artwork in the Vatican Museum and in a few Catholic Churches. Aside from the qualities that come with gradually immersing myself in the Roman culture, I've been applying the most important concept of our art class to my life. This concept is that I have to make time in my life to look at things. As our professor said: How many times do we do this in our lives? How many times do we actually take the time to stop and appreciate the beauty?


As grateful I am for all that I learned this week, I have to admit that it was a major struggle to stay awake during our morning classes after the long days of walking around the city (hence the urge to take a snapshot to keep my brain busy...). 



And so I leave you with this brief, brief summary of Week 2.** I could probably write for hours on end...but alas, as a part of the human race I am close to that zombie-like state we sometimes encounter when the body needs to shut-down for the night (did you notice I just put zombies and robots in the same sentence? This is proof of what I'm talking about). 
The following snapshots are my attempt to appreciate the little things of Rome:

1
3
2
5
             
4




1) Art in the form of food: After a week of Italian food, it was real nice to have a burger, fries, and a beer. The irony of it all is that I consumed this deliciousness at Abbey Theatre Irish Pub!
2) This picture is the fruit of 30 minutes trying to study at a coffee shop with friends.
3) This was art that I found in the Vatican Museum. Art in its most natural form. Our professor also tells us that we need to stop looking down while we walk - who cares if we trip?
4) The silhouette of St. Peter's Basilica. Another natural view from the collection at the Museum.
5) Art in the form of words: These were the words from our resident director one morning. "As our view of God increases our worr & stress decrease, because it's only then that we begin to believe that all that are over our heads are under His feet."

Lord, open my eyes, my heart, my mind, and my soul.


**This week we also experienced our first Community Night - one of our great privileges on the Rome Campus. Look for my post next week and you'll hear more about the community on campus! :)

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz,
    It's Marianne. Laura told me about your blog. Thanks for keeping it up-to-date! I look forward to reading about more of your adventures!! Go with God!

    ReplyDelete